We teach Values education and Resilience through two programs: Habits of Mind (Costa – teaches students about being mindful of themselves, others, and their community) and Building Learning Power (Claxton). Students spend at least 1 hour per week working through a lessons in the above and we endeavour to embed this learning in everyday lessons and hope you can reinforce this in ‘every day’ living.
Finally, this was emailed to me by my father. It was written by a school community to parents, and whilst it probably does not need to be stated, it is a timely reminder of the importance of how you can support us with the ‘other’ unstated – but certainly no less important – values.
- Magic words such as hello, please, you’re welcome, I’m sorry, and thank you, are just as important today as they ever were and they all begin to be learned at home.
- It’s also at home that children learn to be honest, to be on time, diligent, show friends their sympathy, as well as show utmost respect for their elders and all teachers.
- Home is where they learn to be clean, not talk with their mouths full, and how/where to properly dispose of their rubbish.
- Home is also where they learn to be organized, to take good care of their belongings, and that it’s not ok to hurt others.
- Here at school, on the other hand, we teach literacy, numeracy, history, geography, sciences, and physical education. We only reinforce the education that children receive at home from their parents.
- Help us help your children on their journey through life by reinforcing these values at home.
Meredith and I are looking forward to a great year of learning, and support throughout the year and your child’s learning journey. Feel free to pop in at any time and have a ‘chat’ and a cuppa.